Fayetteville Chamber of Commerce Now Interviewing for Position of President/CEO
The president is the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the organization and is appointed by and serves at the pleasure of the Board of Directors. The CEO has the overall responsibility for the complete and ultimate success of the chamber organization. The CEO shall direct the company in accordance with the policies, procedures and bylaws of the chamber. The CEO shall manage all resources (including staff and volunteer efforts) of the chamber to match efforts of the strategic business plan and mission statement, as set forth by the Board, as well as advancing the growth and prosperity of all business members.
The CEO is responsible for a full range of activities including, but not limited to, creation and coordination of programs, organizational structure and procedures, income and expenditures, maintenance and growth of the membership, employment, training, coaching and supervision of staff, interpretation of policy, fiduciary responsibility, long range planning and demonstration of leadership through involvement and participation.
Responsibilities and Duties
• Establish and implement an annual business plan consistent with achieving strategic goals.
• Work with Board of Directors to implement and maintain the corporate mission and vision and set strategic direction.
• Coordinate the activities of the chamber staff, committees and volunteers with the Executive Committee and Board of Directors. This includes recruiting, staffing, educating, training, supervision and regular performance reviews.
• Recruit new members and retention of existing members by directing and participating with appropriate personnel to ensure adequate membership services.
• Oversee and manage fiscal resources of the organization including preparation of the annual budget, working with the Executive Committee for approval by the Board, and ensuring that all financial records are audited in compliance with established laws.
• Establish and cultivate relationships with city, county, state and federal governments and their elected officials or staff; represent the chamber at government or business meetings and offer a professional presentation style and approach.
• Communicate effectively with all government branches, business leaders, members, Chamber staff and Board of Directors.
• Responsible for all marketing materials and collateral and special programs to increase membership or provide benefit to membership and local community at large.
• Work collaboratively with the Board and Executive Committee and assist officers with input and guidance when needed.
• Participate in chamber activities to promote and enhance the image and relationship for the chamber with all groups and parties in the community.
• Assure adequate records of all transaction and correspondence are maintained for review by auditors, the Board or other officials or agencies.
• Perform other tasks as assigned.
Experience and Skills
• A minimum of five years of Executive/Senior level management experience in a chamber of commerce or closely related industry.
• Strong working knowledge of the chamber of commerce industry including principles, program administration, budget management, strategic planning and volunteer management.
• Proven and strong leadership skills.
• Demonstrated government advocacy skills.
• Ability to develop and motivate teams to work in a collaborative environment achieving superior levels of performance.
• Experience in supervisions with proven abilities to recruit, develop, empower and retain staff.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills and relevant media experience.
• Considerable working knowledge of accounting and finance.
• Results-oriented leader whose key objective is to build consensus and create beneficial and productive partnerships in multiple scenarios.
• Ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships with others, across multiple socioeconomic backgrounds.
• Knowledge and understanding of economic development and political dynamics within a suburban community.
• Ability to solicit, fundraise and secure sponsorship dollars from public and private sectors.
• Other combinations of skills and experience could provide the necessary knowledge and ability to perform this job.
• A bachelor’s degree in business administration or related field from an accredited academic institution.
• Chamber certification is preferred.
Physical or Other Requirements
• Must be able to operate a motor vehicle.
• Ability to lift up to fifty (30) pounds.
• Physical stamina needed to function for ten or more (10+) hours in a single workday.
About Greater Fayetteville Chamber of Commerce
The Greater Fayetteville Chamber of Commerce has its origins dating back to 1899 and has operated under various names and structures in its’ more than 100 years of existence. The Cumberland County Business Council (Chamber) was formed in March of 2003 to streamline and coordinate the efforts of the Fayetteville Area Chamber of Commerce, Downtown Development Corporation and the Fayetteville Area Economic Development Corporation. In July of 2008, the Fayetteville-Cumberland County Chamber of Commerce was formed. In 2012, the Fayetteville Area Economic Development Corporation and the Fayetteville Regional Chamber divided into two separate organizations and the Greater Fayetteville Chamber name was adopted. Our organization serves as a catalyst in growing a healthy business community through our advocacy of business-friendly public policy, fostering of diverse innovative business initiatives, and delivering valuable programs and services to our members — all made possible through strong collaborative partnerships.